How can I join the band program at WCS?
If you are a 4th grader
You can join the program in October. All 4th graders will attend a “Beginner Band Demo” in October where they will learn about the different instruments. Sign up information will be available at this time.
If you are a 5th-8th grader and wish to continue playing an instrument
Easy! Start attending rehearsals.
- Symphonic Band- Tuesday, Thursday at 11:50
- Concert Band- Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 11:50
- Wind Ensemble- Daily at 7:30 (am) with lots of days off built into your schedule.
If you are 5th-8th grader and wish to start an instrument
You may begin taking lessons as soon as you have an instrument. Here are
some important steps to take:
- Decide which instrument you wish to play. You may choose from flute, clarinet, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, trumpet, trombone, euphonium/baritone, and sometimes (if there is room) percussion.
- Have a parent contact Kim Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 871-6033 in order to officially enroll.
- If you don’t have access to an instrument, you can rent or purchase one from Ellis Music Company. (Ellismusic.com) or 802 234 6400. Please note that financial support is available to families in need.
- Ask Mrs. Thompson about other supplies you might need as they vary for each instrument.
- Purchase the book, Tradition of Excellence book 1 for your instrument.
*Beginning 5th -8th graders will have a weekly lesson to learn to read music and play their instrument. When skill level is appropriate, students will be invited to start attending rehearsals with whichever grade level will best fit their needs. These placements are assessed individually and can change throughout the year. Typically, beginning students move into a 4th or 5th grade group in November.